Freedom Interrupted

Freedom Interrupted
Late July of 2004- before Hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda, Florida...our new home...

Friday, February 3, 2012

Interrupted Freedom...or rescued ?

White Haired Lady tells folks "we rescued them". Big Dude tells folks, "we interrupted their freedom".  The photo above shows us chillin' in our new home, in Punta Gorda, Florida. It was just a couple of weeks later when Hurricane Charley struck the Punta Gorda shoreline of Charlotte Harbor, and changed all of our lives.
Since the day we, my brother Shakey (the blonde) and I, Spazz, came to live with the White Haired Lady and Big Dude, we have experienced several hurricanes; moved from tropical Florida to Arkansas, where it gets C O L D and snows!... AND lived through a Super system killer tornado in 2008; spent nearly a year in Big Sur, California, and got our paws in the chilly Pacific Ocean, and almost experienced an earthquake, (it hit the central coast of California less than 24 hours after we left Big Sur).
These are just a few of the highlights of our journey with these humans since July of 2004. 
Now, while you might be confused as to whether I am bragging or complaining, let me clear it up for you. 
My brother and I are approaching our 9th birthday in human years, 63rd in dog years, and I know that if these humans had not taken us into their hearts, we likely would not have seen our 2nd (14th) birthday. 
Living on the streets is tough for canines, and if picked up by the Canine Police, (which I was) chances of leaving their "pound" alive are slim. So, when Shakey hung around White Haired Lady's office for two days after my incarceration, and she convinced Big Dude to take him home and find him a new owner, it was 3 days later that she realized that Shakey was grieving over our separation. To hear White Haired Lady and Big Dude tell it, his Oscar winning performance of a broken spirit was the reason they began looking for me. 
White Haired Lady called the Canine Police Shelter, and when she and Big Dude took their lunch break to walk through the jail cells of the unfortunate pups who had been picked up that week, they found ME in the QUARANTINE room. 
Two days later, and one very emotional "Walt Disney movie" reunion scene of me and Shakey, at the pound, White Haired Lady and Big Dude surrendered to PET OWNERSHIP.
I have to say, my brother and I can be a handful! And Big Dude has been the most tolerant human we could ask for. He is not exactly partial to having animals, and he has had to take on many unpleasant duties in keeping us healthy and clean. Since loving us comes easier to White Haired Lady, I will just say this... BIG DUDE IS THE BEST !!! and we probably love him the best too.  But don't tell white Haired Lady, we don't want to hurt her feelings. 
Since this is the Dogs-n-Blogs blogspot, we felt it was time to take over the writing duties. White haired Lady has done the best she can to keep at it, but as you can see, the entries trickle in only once or twice a year. So from this entry on, Shakey and I will keep you updated on life at our house, and White Haired Lady will just give us a 'hand'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment